Sunday 2 May 2010

Speaking at St Matthews RC Church, Ponteland

This afternoon I visited St. Matthews Roman Catholic Church, Ponteland, to speak to Father Melia and some of his parishioners about issues central to their concerns: abortion, euthenasia, stem cell research, religious rights, gay marriage and gay adoption. Although everyone was extremely polite and welcoming, it's fair to say there was not a meeting of minds on many of the issues: I support a woman's right to choose, even though every abortion is a tragedy; I believe everyone should have the right to create a legally binding 'living will'; I support the right of Christians to express their views in a plain, robust manner, but I also expect all businesses in this country, including those owned by Christians, to abide by the law of the land when it comes to non-discrimination; and I believe gay couples should have the same right as straight couples to enter into a contract having the legal effect of marriage. Sincerely held views were respectfully exchanged in both directions. Thanks go to Father Melia for organising the meeting.

No comments: