Sunday 6 December 2009

Tory candidate wants to be part-time MP

Saturday: debate at Queen Elizabeth High School among the four declared Parliamentary candidates for Hexham - Labour (yours truly), LibDem, Conservative and Independent (we shall have to see whether UKIP and the BNP also field candidates).

I thoroughly enjoyed it - the first time I have met the other candidates, all of whom seem nice enough blokes (yes, an entirely male field). And after a number of evasive answers, I finally had my suspicion confirmed: if elected, the Tory candidate would be a part-time MP and do private work on the side. For me, that is an absolute no-no. We shall have to see what Hexham's voters think about that.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I attended Saturday's debate. In view of the fact that the Conservative candidate apparently does a considerable amount of unpaid work I feel that he is well within his rights to keep his options open about whether or not he works once elected. I thought that you spoke well on Saturday but weakened your performance with your rather spiky attacks on the Conservative candidate re. resigning in the face of a 10% dissatisfaction rating and whether or not he would be a full-time MP.