Friday 26 March 2010

Haydon Bridge High School debate

Lunchtime, Wednesday 24 March: Haydon Bridge High School held a debate to which all Hexham's declared Parliamentary candidates were invited. I was there for Labour, the Lib Dem candidate made it, and so too did the Independent candidate. Hexham's Tory candidate said he had a prior engagement and didn't attend, which is unfortunate since young people have as much right to know our views and opinions as any other group living in the constituency.

The debate was lively: I made clear my disappointment with the recent revelations about ex-cabinet ministers touting for business, and I had a good ding-dong with the LibDem candidate about precisely what their policy now is on tuition fees (it changes week by week). I hope the audience found the debate entertaining and illuminating, and will be some help in deciding which way to vote for those old enough.

No comments: